This is most common diagnosis in women in everyday hair clinic
TE is characterized by sudden shedding of hair on the entire scalp as a result of an early ,synchronous entry of hair follicles (more than 20%) in to the telogen phase.
TE is more common in women than men.
Causes of TE
- Thyroid influences- hypo or hyperthyroidism .
- Iron deficiency( In about 72% of women patients)
- Major intervention and prolonged anesthesia
- Malignant disease and malabsorption
- Crash dieting /hypoproteinemia( rapid weight loss with less than 1000 calories/day intake can often causes immediate arrest of anagen followed by TE )
- Vitamin D deficiency
- Vitamin A overdose (more than 50,000 IE daily)
- Zinc deficiency
- Copper deficiency
- Selenium deficiency
- Essential fatty acids ( Vitamin F) deficiency
- Psychological stress ,Acute anxiety and depressions
- Medications like chemotherapy, Radiotherapy
- Predominately occurs in female
- Abrupt onset of shedding of hairs
- Reduction in density and their pony tail diameter
- Hair thinning, especially on the temples.
Laboratory testing like haemogram ,serum ferratin,protiens etc.
Thyroid function test
Serum vitamins levels.
- Removal of cause
- Iron supplementation
- Correction thyroid functions
- Medication- Topical minoxidil